Skip to main content

I'm Super Thanks For Asking

 




Let’s start with the premise of this article: “Study uses superhero films to discuss mental health with children.” On the surface, it sounds like the kind of headline you scroll past on a slow news day, sandwiched between cat videos and weather updates. But this one stopped me in my tracks because, well, it’s brilliant. And kind of obvious.

According to the study, researchers are using the trials and tribulations of superheroes to help kids grapple with mental health challenges. The idea is as simple as it is profound: “Superhero films provide a relatable lens through which children can explore complex emotions, resilience, and self-identity.” It’s hard to argue with that. After all, what is Spider-Man if not a masterclass in the devastating burden of guilt and responsibility?

Reading this took me down a rabbit hole of my own mental health origin story—a saga that probably began long before I realized I was battling the Joker inside my own brain. As a kid, I didn’t have the language to articulate what was happening. Anxiety was just “being nervous,” and depression wasn’t even on the radar. But superheroes? Oh, I understood them perfectly.

Batman didn’t wallow in self-pity when tragedy struck; he turned his grief into a crusade for justice. Sure, he could’ve used a therapist instead of a Batcave, but he got the job done. And Peter Parker? The guy was juggling high school, a day job, and fighting crime, all while carrying the weight of Uncle Ben’s death on his shoulders. If that’s not a metaphor for trying to balance life with mental health struggles, I don’t know what is.

The article highlights how superhero stories resonate because they’re inherently human, even when the characters are superhuman. “Through the lens of these narratives, children can see that everyone struggles, even heroes.” That’s such a powerful message. It’s easy to idolize these characters, but what makes them compelling isn’t their powers—it’s their pain.

Take Tony Stark, for instance. He’s a billionaire genius with a suit of armor, but beneath the quips and bravado is a man battling PTSD and self-destructive tendencies. And let’s not forget the Hulk, who’s basically a walking embodiment of suppressed rage and uncontrollable emotion.

These stories don’t just entertain; they teach us that it’s okay to struggle. They normalize the idea that being human—flaws and all—is part of the journey.

I’ll admit it: my love for superhero stories runs deep, and it’s bled into my writing more than once. If you’ve read my books (Demons Within, Cocaine Cola, The Dish Pit, Serpents in the Sand), you’ve probably noticed a thing or two about flawed protagonists and battles that are as internal as they are external. That’s no coincidence. Comic books and superhero movies taught me that even the most damaged characters can still save the day—and maybe themselves in the process.

That’s why I love this initiative. It’s not just about showing kids they’re not alone; it’s about giving them tools to face their own villains, whether those villains are bullies, self-doubt, or something else entirely.

The article closes with this: “Superheroes are a way of exploring humanity at its best and worst, providing a safe space to discuss complex emotions and challenges.” I couldn’t have said it better myself.

I’m lucky enough to be in a place now where I can look back on my mental health struggles and see them for what they are—my own battles against an unseen nemesis. I don’t always win, but I’ve learned to keep showing up, cape or no cape.

So here’s to the superheroes: the ones on screen, the ones in our lives, and the ones staring back at us in the mirror. We’re all fighting something, but with resilience, support, and maybe a dash of spandex-inspired courage, we can keep going.

Here’s the link to the article that inspired this reflection: Study uses superhero films to discuss mental health with children.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to re-watch The Dark Knight for the 47th time—purely for research purposes, of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Books

  My Books **Discover Worlds Beyond Your Imagination**   Step into the library of my mind—a place where stories run wild, characters come alive, and each book is a doorway to a different world. From the crackle of a freshly turned page to the glow of your favorite device, these tales are waiting for you to dive in.   Imagine holding a map that leads to laughter, heartbreak, mystery, or adventure. That’s what you’ll find here—books that whisper, shout, and sing. Each one is crafted with care, shaped by midnight musings and coffee-fueled mornings.   Amazon may be the bustling metropolis where most of you stop by, but these stories stretch far and wide—Barnes & Noble, Apple Books, Kobo, and more. No matter where you like to read, there’s a seat waiting for you.   Ready to explore? Click “My Books” at the top or bottom of this page and see what’s waiting for you. Each book is a ticket. All you have to do is choose your destination.   My Books

Friends

  We didn’t drift apart because of time or geography or the natural entropy of adulthood. We didn’t lose each other the way people like to pretend happens—slowly, blamelessly, no fingerprints left behind. We distanced because of me. That’s the truth, plain and ugly and necessary. I was the weather that kept canceling plans. I was the silence that followed invitations. I was the one who learned how to disappear without technically leaving. In college, we were inseparable in the casual, unexamined way that feels permanent until it isn’t. Adam, Alex, Dane, the Nu—names that once felt like a single sentence.  We moved through those years shoulder to shoulder, arguing about nothing, caring about everything. We loved stories more than reality then, especially the kind where fellowship mattered.  Adam and I loved  The Lord of the Rings  with a seriousness that bordered on devotion. We believed in chosen family.  We believed in staying. I didn’t keep that belief. A...

Demons Within

  “But…I do believe in demons. They exist within us, in the recesses of our souls, waiting for every opportunity to pounce on our hearts and minds, and to feed off the misery that we can create for ourselves and others.” -Bill Dillard, Demons Within   Everybody has demons. Everybody. Some people hide them better than others, and some people have yet to even become aware of their existence. But they are there, at least in some capacity. Some people’s demons aren’t really that bad, and aren’t excessively problematic or obviously destructive. Some, however, are so damaging and blatantly ruinous that if they are not dealt with head-on, the prognosis for the possessed is truly perilous. Jails, institutions, and death is a common phrase amongst the afflicted, and the phrase is referring to the ultimate endpoint for the sufferer, when said demons are left unchecked. These deadly demons to which I am so ominously referring are the demons of addiction, alcoholism, and menta...